Minimize points of failure between the UPS and the critical load
The majority of failures that cause critical load downtime typically occur between the UPS and the critical load. Traditionally, facility and IT managers have introduced redundancy at the UPS and generator levels, but have ignored the single points of failure at the power distribution level. Multiple breakers (single points of failure) are present between the UPS and the critical load. Management is now looking to move redundancy closer to the load, thereby reducing the number of breakers between the UPS and the critical load. In a large business environment, readability and minimal downtime are of the greatest importance, having just one large UPS can also mean a single point of failure which will disrupt everything. That said, in order to provide added reliability, a number of smaller UPS's and batteries can be integrated to provide a redundant power protection system which is equivalent to a large UPS. The "N+1" really means that if the Load can be supplied by an "N" module or UPS, the installation will have an "N+1" solution. This means that one UPS failing will not have a big impact on the operation of the business.
Emerson – Solutions for Business-Critical Continuity (5kVA-20kVA)
Liebert ITA Series is a full featured scalable UPS designed to provide long backup time for small computer rooms and network equipment. Using true on-line double conversion UPS technology, Liebert ITA Series provides high efficiency and reliability with 0.9/0.8 output power factor that can power 10-30% more load than other ordinary UPS. This UPS offers flexibility with parallelable configuration and extended backup time with external battery cabinets.
- Supports parallel bus to support scalable and N+1 solutions
- Backup time can be prolonged through cascaded connection or use of large capacity battery bank
- Compatible with single-phase and 3-phase input power
- Double-conversion online design that ensures continuous power even when the mains AC fails
- Supports N+X redundant mode up to 4 units for increased system reliability
- DSP full-digital control with high output voltage precision
- Uses state-of-the-art technology and components to withstand fluctuation ofinput main voltage
- Optional WEB / SNMP card for remote management
- Available in standard and long backup for 4 to 8 hours runtime.
- Available in 5kVA, 6kVA, 16kVA and 20kVA models
Liebert NXC (10kVA – 40kVA)
Liebert NXCcan be connected with up to four units in parallel, one of which is redundant. A single unit can be upgraded to parallel operation via easy to modify software settings which allows the system to be customized for the requested configuration. The Loop BUS connection used in paralleling the system delivers ultimate reliability and eliminates the possibility of a single point of failure, ensuring perfect load sharing and fast detection of any variation in the system status.
- Integrated parallel bus to support scalable and N+1 solutions.
- Integrated Manual Bypass Panel (reducing downtime during maintenance service)
- Input / Output Service Breakers
- High Capacity Battery Charger
- Provides both Parallel options and redundancy options
- 3 Phase Power in a compact footprint
- Double conversion online UPS with 0.9 output power factor
- Integrated batteries (external battery pack available for increased runtime)
Redundant Solutions for Small Critical Loads – Up to 3kVA
Two supported configurations for Redundant Switch are shown below. Both UPS’s must be the same make and model, both sine-wave models. Automatic switching power redundancy to single corded equipment. Effective solution for maintenance bypass needs for maintenance services etc. Robust out-of-phase switching capability.
- Redundancy solution for small critical Loads, 3KVA and below.
- Automatic switching power redundancy to single corded equipment
- Effective solution for maintenance bypass needs
- Continuous source monitoring
- Robust out-of-phase switching capability
- Typical switching time of 8-12ms
- SNMP Management included
MULTIPLE REDUNDANCY – APC SYMMETRA
There are many computer servers that will offer the option of a redundant power supply, which in the event of a power failure either one or more of these power supplies will power the load. In the computer industry this is a critical point because every power supply should to be able to power the whole server on its own. The Redundancy is then further enhanced by adding each power supply into a fresh circuit (another circuit breaker). This redundant protection can be further extended by adding each power supply to a UPS of its own. This will provide a solid double protection from both the failure of the power supply and the UPS which ensures continued operation. Many times this is referred to as a 1+1 or a 2N redundancy. If your budget does not permit you to purchase two UPS units then one power supply can be plugged into the mains power while the other goes into the UPS. Engineered to deliver the highest level of business continuity possible, the Symmetra LX uses a modular, redundant architecture that can scale power and runtime as demand increases or when higher levels of availability are required. Advancements in this next generation design greatly decrease footprint or U-space needed in an equipment rack, increase speed and ease of deployment and reduce repair time. With built-in network manageability and a comprehensive portfolio available from 4- 16 kVA N+1, the on-line Symmetra LX is the choice to protect high- performance IT and telecommunications equipment in computer rooms and small data centers. Modular design provides fast serviceability and reduced maintenance requirements via self- diagnosing, hot-swappable, and field-replaceable modules. Configurable for N+1 internal redundancy provides high availability through redundancy by allowing configuration with one more Power Module than is necessary to support the connected load. Redundant intelligence modules provide higher availability to the UPS connected loads by giving redundant communication paths to critical UPS functions. Hot-swappable batteries, power modules, and intelligence modules ensure clean, uninterrupted power to protected equipment during Intelligence Module replacement. Power modules connected in parallel Enhance availability by allowing immediate, seamless recovery from isolated module failures. Battery modules connected in parallel deliver higher availability through redundant batteries. Automatic internal bypass Supplies utility power to the connected loads in the event of a UPS overload condition or fault.
- Scalable power capacity Reduces UPS over- sizing costs today by allowing quick upgrades later.
- Scalable runtime Allows quick addition of more runtime when needed.
- Modular design Provides fast serviceability and reduced maintenance requirements via self- diag nosing, hot-swappable, and field-replaceable modules.
- Predictive failure notification Provides early-warning fault analysis, ensuring proactive component replacement.
- Configurable for N+1 internal redundancy Provides high availability through redundancy by allowing configuration with one more Power Module than is necessary to support the connected load.
- Redundant intelligence modules Provide higher availability to the UPS connected loads by giving redundant communication paths to critical UPS functions.
- Hot-swappable batteries, power modules, and intelligence modules Ensure clean, uninterrupted power to protected equipment during Intelligence Module replacement.
- Power modules connected in parallel Enhance availability by allowing immediate, seamless recov ery from isolated module failures.
- Battery modules connected in parallel Deliver higher availability through redundant batteries.
- Automatic internal bypass Supplies utility power to the connected loads in the event of a UPS overload condition or fault.
SCALABLE, MULTIPLE REDUNDANCY – EATON BLADE-UPS
The Eaton Blade-UPS system is a 6U rackmount module that provides 12kW of backup power protection per module, scalable to 48kW or 60kW N+1. The system expands easily to provide maximum results and UPS redundancy.Designed specifically for high-density computing environments, the Eaton BladeUPS delivers 12 kW of efficient, reliable power in only 6U of standard rack space, including batteries. Expand capacity by combining 12 kW modules in a building block fashion to deliver 60 kW of redundant backup power from a single rack enclosure. This powerful configuration delivers higher power density than competitive, modular solutions, while dissipating only one-third of the heat. The standard internal batteries provide needed ride-through power until an auxiliary power source takes over or systems are gracefully shut down. Extend runtime up to 34 minutes at full load (or 76 minutes at half load) with extended battery modules (EBMs). Protects mission-critical applications with innovative backup power technology designed specifically for high-density computing environments. Supports the constant moves, adds and changes of today’s dynamic data centers with a modular, scalable, and flexible backup power architecture. Conserves valuable rack space with 12 kW of power in only 6U of rack height, including batteries. Accommodates growth by enabling building-block upgrades from 12 kW to 60 kW in a single rack enclosure. Reduces energy costs and cooling needs through best-in- class efficiency performance. Delivers highest levels of reliability at the rack with patented Powerware Hot Sync paralleling technology and intelligent bypass design, field proven in thousands of large data centers globally. Simplifies installation and service with true plug-and-power connections and hot-swappable batteries and electronics modules. Increases battery life through ABM technology, resulting in more uptime and fewer battery replacements. Expanding power demands. The blade servers that are satisfying business demands can also raise the demands for power consumption in the same footprint. Rack power requirements that were once at 60 watts per U may now have to be delivered at levels up to 600 watts per U with redundant power supplies. Excessive heat. Blade servers generate a lot of heat that translates into high demand for additional energy. A fully loaded rack of blade servers can use close to 30 kW of power. This equals over 100,000 BTU/hr in heat generation that requires cooling–wasted heat that is not utilized in any way. Since cooling adds huge costs to data center operations, IT organizations are forced to increase their power efficiency to counteract the inefficient heat and cooling problems.
- Protects mission-critical applications with innovative backup power technology designed specifically for high-density computing environments.
- Supports the constant moves, adds and changes of today’s dynamic data centers with a modular, scalable, and flexible backup power architecture.
- Conserves valuable rack space with 12 kW of power in only 6U of rack height, including batteries.
- Accommodates growth by enabling building-block upgrades from 12 kW to 60 kW in a single rack enclosure.
- Reduces energy costs and cooling needs through best-in-class efficiency performance.
- Delivers highest levels of reliability at the rack with patented Powerware® Hot Sync® paralleling technology and intelligent bypass design, field proven in thousands of large data centers globally.
- Simplifies installation and service with true plug-and-power connections and hot-swappable batter ies and electronics modules.
- Increases battery life through ABMtechnology, resulting in more uptime and fewer battery replacements.